You know, it's really an amazing thing watching children grow. Just a few days ago Princess clapped for the first time. It is something so small that we do without thinking. Yet for this little child of mine to clap brings immense joy to both me and Josh, as well as to Princess. You see, she claps, and then we clap and cheer and smile, and she smiles and laughs and claps some more. She claps when she's eating, and when she's playing, and when I'm changing her diaper, and just anytime at all. I love it! It is so exciting to see her learning new things. Something that is so simple for us is an amazing, joyful feat for her.
The day she turned 9 months old was the day she waved "bye-bye" for the first time. She had been doing the motion for a couple of weeks before that, but never to really say "bye-bye." We were leaving somewhere on 9/20/07, and I said, "wave bye-bye," and she did! Ever since then, she has delighted in waving at anyone and anything. She waves at just about anyone that crosses her path, including people who have their backs turned, other babies, people on TV, animals, and even our shadows! Everywhere we go she makes friends, at the grocery store, at restaurants, at Wal-mart, at the bank, etc... just because she smiles and waves. I think we all could take a lesson from Princess and other babies everywhere. If we all would smile and wave more, maybe people would be a lot nicer, less rushed, more interested in eachother's lives... hey, you never know unless you try, right?
As most moms know, babies and children bring people together in a way that few other things can. For example, your standing in line at Wal-mart. The person checking out is taking forever... maybe they have a price check, or just a big order, or some other time consuming issue. Everyone in line is getting impatient and cranky... and then your little one starts to laugh and play peek-a-boo with you, or with the person in line behind you, or the little 5 year old in front of you. You can't help but smile, and neither can the people around you. Someone asks you how old your baby is, or what her name is, or some other random fact. They start talking about their kids, or grandkids, or nieces or nephews. Suddenly, its your turn to check out, and everyone leaves a little happier. Am I the only one who has experienced this situation and similar ones over and over again? I highly doubt it. And I for one am so grateful that Princess is my little social butterfly, at least for now. She has allowed me to hear some interesting stories, meet some really sweet people, have the opportunity to pray for those in need, and to make others smile!
I know that Princess' next big milestone will probably be her first unassisted steps. While I am not sure I am ready for that level of mobility on her part, I look forward to the new doors it will open, not just for things she can do, but also for the people it will allow me to meet and connect with that I may not have been able to before... that mom who has a new walker herself and can't quite manage to babyproof the house, or that experienced mom who remembers the days of early walking and offers some tips, or that grandma who can't wait for her newest grandchild to start walking.
Princess is a wonderful gift from the Lord in so many ways, and she truly amazes me everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment