Monday, November 26, 2007

So I've never been into blogging, but...

I remember back in college when everyone and their Mom had a Xanga, a Myspace, a blog, and any of a number of other "networking" and blogging sites. I didn't. I didn't read them, I didn't post on them, and I certainly didn't have one of my own. Why? Email, phone calls, and face-to-face were enough to keep up with! Besides, there certainly couldn't be anyone that really needed to know or even cared that much or about what I ate for dinner, where I went on Friday night, or what my latest research paper was... besides Mom of course, because it is in her job description. So, I avoided this realm altogether. Sometime during my senior year of college, I got a myspace, purely so I could look at the myspace for a friend of mine. I never posted or updated. There it sat for nearly 2 years! Then last fall I joined the ranks of most of my generation and signed up for a Facebook account, and updated myspace. I am now a full-fledged, regular Facebooker, and still only an occasional Myspacer. However, I have to say, that I am so glad I joined both. I have found numerous friends from as far back as 3rd grade, as well as reconnected with more recent friends, like those from college. I have also found a way to share photos with friends and family across the miles, and a way to feel more connected with those outside of my daily "Mommy" world.
Even so, I was still resisting the urge to blog. The main reason, "Who's gonna read it?!" Well, I have decided that the answer may still be what I have always presumed it would be... no one. However, I don't think that is the real point. I would love to be able to share my thoughts and the happenings of my life with my friends and family if they are interested. If not, this will simply be my own space to brainstorm, vent, or reflect. I love to journal, but for some reason have really fallen behind these last couple of years. And to be honest, it is easier for me to sit down at a keyboard than with a pen and paper. Princess can't reach the keyboard yet, but if I was writing with the traditional tools, she would be after that pen and the pages like a hawk after its prey! (As I type now, she is happily sitting about 2 feet away playing with a piece of cardboard. Who needs Fisher-Price!?)
I have also discovered that I really like to read the thoughts of my dear friend, Rachel, on her blog, (although she does not post near enough - understandably so!), as well as that of her husband, David, and my friend, Miles, (again an even more infrequent post-er!) Knowing that, I thought that perhaps there might be one or 2 that would be interested in my blog. If not, at least I know Mom will be... she has to be, right?!

3 comments:

ben bonk said...

i am reading ur blog ms. kaycie!

Rachel said...

Kaycie,

I was reading your blog out loud to David. Imagine my surprise when I came across my own name! Love you, Kaycie, and I'll read your blog as long as I can--just let me know when you've posted anew.

-Rachel

PS. I've been thinking of posting on my own blog for a while. Maybe I will tonight.

Unknown said...

Kaycie! I didnt know you were doing this and I know exactly how you feel. I always thought 'who wants to pour out their life so that everyone can read it when writing in a journal is perfectly fine?'. But I came across so many inspiring blogs that I decided to do one too! At first I thought 'noone is going to read my random thoughts' but then I realized that you do it more for yourself and maybe for your family and close friends. Its a great way to share things with your loved ones especially when you're far away. And who knows, random readers may be inspired or learn from some of the experiences you share with them. I'll definately be reading you blog! xoxo, xiomi