Come on weather man give us a forecast snowy white
Can't you hear the prayers of every childlike heart tonight
Rockies are callin', Denver snow fallin' Somebody said it's four feet deep,
but it doesn't matter Give me the laughter, I'm gonna choose to keep
Another tender Tennessee Christmas, the only Chirstmas for me
Where the love circles around us like the gifts around our tree
Well I know there's more snow up in Colorado than my roof will ever see
But a tender Tennessee Christmas is the only Christmas for me
Every now and then I get a wanderin' urge to see Maybe California, maybe Tinsel Town's for me
There's a parade there, we'd have it made there Bring home a tan for New Year's Eve
Sure sounds exciting, awfully inviting, still I think I'm gonna keep
Another tender Tennessee Christmas, the only Christmas for me
Where the love circles around us like the gifts around our tree
Well they say in L.A. it's a warm holiday, it's the only place to be
A tender Tennessee Christmas, is the only Christmas for me
Well I know there's more snow up in Colorado than my roof will ever see
But a tender Tennessee Christmas is the only Christmas for me
A tender Tennessee Christmas is the only Christmas for me
This is one of my top favorite Christmas songs (after "Christmas Eve in Washington")... and its kinda ironic since I've never really spent many Christmases here. In 2004 I spent Christmas in Nashville with Josh and his family, and then flew South either later that day or the next. In 2006 we were here in Seymour for Christmas, but with the joy and excitement of having a 5 day old baby girl, Christmas traditions and festivities were a little different.
This year will be our first "real Christmas" in Tennessee, as I have started calling it. It will be our little family celebrating together the coming of the Christ-child over 2000 years ago in our own special way, starting our own traditions and creating our own Christmas memories.
They keep saying it will snow... a few weeks ago it threatened to... I think I even saw a few flakes on the windshield, but that was all. The weather man is saying that it will snow this weekend. I won't hold my breath, but I would LOVE to have a white Christmas. Afterall, if its gonna be cold, there might as well be snow, right?!
Today was such a weird day for us here in Tennessee... just 2 weeks until Christmas and it was 75 degress out today! After taking an afternoon nap, Princess and I jumped at the chance to enjoy some sunshine and get our Vitamin D production going! We went to the park and went down the slides, swung together on the swings, and Princess swung all by herself for nearly 45 minutes! She loved it! I got a chance to see an old acquaintance who was there with her sons, as well as meet another Mom who was there with her daughter. It was a delightful afternoon. I really needed the pick-me up that the weather provided today, and for that I praise God. When the cold weather does return in a couple of days, I really hope it brings with it lots of big, fluffy clouds thick with snow!
After celebrating Christmas here in Tennessee, we will head South to celebrate again with my parents, Grams, and brother and sister-in-law in Fort Lauderdale, and I can't wait! I know I will be ready for more warm weather by then, and I miss them all so much. I have not seen my parents since June, and my brother and his wife since February. Also, we will be celebrating Princess first birthday (and the fact that we made it through the first year so well!)
I just read a book called "The Christmas Shoes." It is based on the song of the same name by the band "Newsong." Talk about a heart-wrencher. The song itself always leaves me overwhelmed and often brimming with emotion, but the book really got me. I would highly recommend it. It has a sequel that I am hoping to pick-up from the library tomorrow. The one couple in the book reminds me of Josh and I, even though we have been married so much less time. They are a simple family, but love eachother so much. The author describes how much the couple enjoys spending time with one another, and how they always have something to talk about. The other couple in the book has everything in terms of "stuff," but has very little in the way of substance. The absent father is a provider in the physical sense, but does not even really know his wife and daughters. It is heartbreaking, and what is even more so is that we all know people who have that same life... lots of stuff, but no relationships. It reminded me that this time of year, when we have more freedom than ever to proclaim the glorious message of the tiny baby born in the manger, I need to be a voice of peace and love to all those I encounter. I am making it a point to refuse to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the "holiday," but rather to get caught up in the hope and joy of this Holy-day. I can only pray that I remember this daily and that Christ gives me the strength to be a witness for Him in this season.
I pray that each person who reads this would be reminded of that little baby born in the manger on that night so long ago, and that you too would take a deep breath, and rest deeply in the promise of God's faithfulness and love, and that you would truly celebrate not just a holiday, but a Holy-day this Christmas. (and if you have time, check out the excellent book, "The Christmas shoes")
2 comments:
Cute hat!
Ah yes... that day of warm weather felt like a gift from God after the cold. I grabbed the kids, went outside, took my shirt off, cranked up some tropical music and drank margaritas while sitting in a lawn chair facing the sun all afternoon. I think I even got a little sunburn. It was great!
Post a Comment